We have researched and found numerous facts that you may not have known. You can see below the facts that we have found. Pay special attention to the facts. Most of these facts will be a great starting point as you continue your research:
1. If using a microwave oven, cook the beets with a little water for 8 to 15 minutes.
2. Beets prefer loose, well-drained soils but will tolerate a wide range.
3. Place in the oven and roast small beets (three ounces or less) for 30 to 40 minutes, medium beets (four to six ounces) for 40 to 45 minutes, and large beets (eight ounces or more) for 50 to 60 minutes.
4. Place trimmed beets in a roasting pan and add a little water for steam.
5. Beets prefer a cooler climate although they are tolerant of heat.
6. Beets are high in natural sugar and roasting brings out the natural sweetness.
7. Beets are suited to long-term storage if kept at temperatures near freezing and with high humidity to prevent wilting.
8. As beets get larger, they tend to become more fibrous.
RECESS — As is obvious from the first half of this article, this topic is centered on Beets. Reading this article to the end will prove helpful, as this article is full of useful information. Just below this paragraph you will find some additional facts that we came across that may help you:
1. Freezing magnifies imperfections and woodiness in over mature beets.
2. When harvesting beets, separate the green tops from the roots leaving an inch of stem on the beet.